Random Learning From This Week
Do you ever feel as though the older you get, the less you know? I though I knew EVERYTHING when I was in college (just ask my parents). Since then, unfortunately, I keep discovering entire categories that I can’t begin to understand (tornado ratings, the mind of a 3-year-old, Farmville, the Greek economy, Nicki Minjai... just to name a few). Still, I’m not giving up the fight. In fact, sometimes I’m surprised by what I learn every week just by showing up and paying attention.
I’ve asked you before if you’ve seen the arrow in the Fed Ex logo, and many of you said “no.” Now you see it though, right? So perhaps what I’m learning might be new to you. Try these recent "new learnings" of mine on for size and let me know if any of them are new for you too (and, in doing so, you’ll make me feel better!)…
- There are hooks on the back of your grocery carts for carrying extra bags.
- If you wear heels when you fly (and I usually do), in an emergency you’ll need to exit the plane barefoot (and don’t think about bringing your cardboard briefcase). In the name of life safety for my fellow passengers and not popping the fun, yellow, bouncy, air-filled emergency slide, I'll kick 'em off before I slide. Can I get them back when the dust settles though?
- You can save a TON of time looking for the right canned food in your pantry if you label the top of your cans. The few minutes you cough up labeling them initially will come back to you when you don't have to make that extra trip to the store for black beans that you thought was corn.
- Downton Abbey is really as good as people say... (yes, I'm late to the party). (Um... a few of you can also discreetly learn that it is called DowntonAbbey... not DowntoWn Abbey.)
- The train at Atlanta Hartsfield airport is now called “The Plane (Plain?) Train.” (No more editorializing…except, why did it need a name? I think people would still use it nameless. Also, couldn't anyone come up with anything more creative? OK - I'm done now.)
- Your standard phone jack is no match for a colleague on a mission to get the new office running. In a pinch, we out here at the Regional Office aren't afraid to take an X-acto knife to a phone jack to get it to work with the phone. (By the way, did you know it was called an "X-acto" knife... not an Exacto knife?)
- If I had to be stranded in an airport for an extended period of time (excluding Hawaii), I'd pick Minneapolis/St. Paul. Dang, that airport is large and well appointed!!! Plus, Minnesota likes to use an explanation point in its name, so that's fun too. It's always nice to see a state get excited about itself.
So, there ya go. Hope you learned something.
Your turn. What have you been learning lately?